Miami has moved beyond its reputation as a winter destination for snowbirds. The growth of Miami as a cultural destination has turned the city into a thriving year-round retreat with much of the attraction focused on the transformation of its urban core. With the addition of the Museum Park, plus more than 400 restaurants, 20 hotels, 30 cultural organizations and 2.5 million sq. ft. of retail, Downtown Miami has come to the forefront as one of city’s top attractions.
While the winter usually receives all of the media attention, the summer is a great time to visit Miami like a local here’s why:
- Go all artsy: See the hip side of Downtown Miami at PAMM Third Thursdays, a free outdoor live music series overlooking the bay at the new Perez Art Museum.
- Be a foodie: Take a culinary road trip through the streets of Downtown on the cheap with Miami Spice, a seasonal program that features a pre-fixed menu for just $39 at participating restaurants. Be sure to check out our favorite Toro Toro at the iconic downtown hotel, the InterContinental Miami.
- Take time to relax: Experience the best spas in town for just $99 with Miami Spa Month, another seasonal program that features some of the best spa experiences in Downtown Miami at a fraction of the price. Listed in Ocean Drive Magazine among the top choices for Miami Spa Month, MySpa at the InterContinental offers the relaxing Raindrop Experience massage with six essential oils.
- See the characters: Enjoy downtown Miami’s most talked about seasonal series, the Summer Shorts at the Adrienne Arsht Center.
- Listen to the sounds: Sure the Miami Sound Machine brought the beat to this city, but it’s the American Airlines Arena and Bayfront Park Amphitheater that keeps the music going. Together, they have a fantastic lineup this summer featuring:
- The Eagles, July 10
- Shania Twain, July 16
- Nicki Minaj, July 20
- Sam Smith, July 20
- Sublime, Aug. 15
To top off the round-up, we can’t forget to mention all of the public transit options in Downtown that make it easy to get around and explore the destination. To take a break from the heat, we recommend hopping on the free downtown street trolley or the popular Metromover.