If we had to describe Schwartz Media Strategies’ Senior Account Executive Jami Baker in one word, it would be driven. In almost four years with the firm, Jami has gained client trust, developed strong media relationships and created so many nationally appealing stories that they fill an entire wall (literally, the wall next to her desk is covered).
Soundbytes catches up with the firm’s legal and professional practice powerhouse in “20 Questions with Jami”:
1. Did you always see yourself in public relations?
I grew up thinking I would be a doctor. I started off college pre-med…needless to say that did not last long! I soon discovered my love of creative writing and started working for a local promotional company in Gainesville. That is when I realized public relations is what I wanted to do.
2. What’s your best memory from college?
Football games in the Swamp!
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Same place – bigger office.
4. If you could pick any career path in the world, and you can’t pick public relations, which would you choose?
5. Who is your role model?
My cousin who lives in San Francisco. She is the most driven, independent and self-sufficient woman I know.
6. What’s the most difficult part of your job?
Not finding enough hours in the day to do all of the things I want to do! The key is to stay organized and prioritize effectively.
7. You go to the airport, look at the schedule, where would you buy a one way ticket to?
Italy. What more could I ask for? Culture, food and wine. That’s all I need.
8. Where can we most likely find you on a Sunday?
Sunday’s ritual: gym, Publix, pool. Then ending my night with TV and Chinese food. (Counter-intuitive, I know).
9. What advice would you give to someone who wants to start in public relations?
There’s a million different businesses to focus on within public relations, so get an internship and figure out what industry you like the most.
10. What is your favorite quote?
“A day without laughter is a day wasted.” – Charlie Chaplin
11. What is your favorite thing to cook?
It’s hard to pick just one thing! Right now I’m really into tacos – of any kind – because then I get to make my famous guacamole.
12. How do you deal with a public relations crisis?
Analyze the facts first, then put a strategic plan in place that meets your client’s best interest.
13. When given the choice, pancakes or waffles?
Mom’s homemade mini-chocolate-chip pancakes
14. If you were Mayor of Miami and had unlimited funds, what would you do?
I would build more affordable housing.
15. What’s your evening routine?
Unwind by exercising, cooking and listening to music (oh and having a glass of wine). Then I get in bed check email one last time and watch Jimmy Fallon, Stephen Colbert and Seth Meyers.
16. What is on your Netflix “Recently Watched” list?
I binged the entire season of Narcos in less than 48 hours and I am not ashamed to admit that.
17. What does public relations mean to you?
Making sure my clients are reaching their target audience in the best way possible every single day.
18. How do you deal with a client that is overly stressed?
By doing good work, understanding their business and showing that I am here to make things easier.
19. Do you have a life motto?
Do everything to the fullest, because if you’re only giving half of what you have what’s the point?
20. What is the biggest public relations fail and win of all time?
Fail: Justine Sacco and her twitter mishap.
Win: CVS cutting tobacco from shelves.